Sunday 21 September 2014

Asian Slaw

Coleslaw is a good old favourite, particularly in the warmer months with BBQ's. As I love coleslaw and Asian, it interests me to mix the two - a little fusion? Here's my take....

Salad

  • 1/4 Cabbage - thinly sliced
  • 2 Carrots, grated
  • 2 Spring Onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and grated
  • 1/4 Red Capsicum, thinly sliced
Dressing
  • 100ml Water
  • 100 ml Sugar
  • 1 Teaspoon Fish Sauce +/- to taste
  • Pinch semi dried or fresh Ginger - grated
  • Pinch semi dried or fresh chilli - finely chopped
  • 1/2 clove finely diced Garlic
How to.....
For the salad, toss everything together in a bowl. I'm a lazy cook - I use my food processor to slice and grate everything, it means I get a more consistent mix.
For the dressing, place all ingredients into a saucepan and heat, gently, until all the sugar is dissolved, let it cool before pouring onto your salad.

Tips
  • The dressing makes a great dipping sauce if you reduce it until its thick
  • Adding snow pea sprouts and some roasted peanuts to your salad makes a lovely crispy change in flavour
  • The dressing is not diabetic, or diet, friendly

Pictured above - with my Panko Crumbed Turkey Balls

No comments:

Post a Comment